<$BlogRSDUrl$>



No trespassing beyond this point
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, December 01, 2003

 
My family hasn't had a wedding [1] for some time. I was genuinely happy even though I haven't had more than one hour of sleep the previous night and even though it was an extremely hectic day (family broke the all-year record by spending near-hundred dollars on just cab [2] fare alone). Probably because I was reminded of what a wedding should be about, something I'd long forgotten.

It was my first church wedding as well. The pastor, pre-informed of a non-Catholic crowd (groom's family) presence, did his best explaining the significance of a holy matrimony, unaware that quite a number in the crowd do not understand English. The irony of the situation tickled me. Saturday's wedding also marked the inkspot beginning to the influences of globalization on our small trying-to-be-close-knit-as-much-as-we-can traditional family [3]. Who ever thought it would ever happen, and anyhow the bride's brother looked rather smart in his tie and suit, pretty much an eye candy. By chance (yes, really), I got to stand next to him when we were taking photographs - a cheap thrill but a thrill all the same.

The day ended with a wedding dinner at a posh hotel, and while I was stuck at the reception area most times, the advantage was I could check out the crowd. Unbelieveably I spotted my professor's name on the list and it.. was really him. Him who had some role to play in that tortorous ACCT204 paper on Friday, him who came and then asked me how the paper was. I still can't believe we are related by marriage now. One professor and his average student. I hope he would just let me pass. Nepotism strictly not intended [4].


Explanatory Notes:
[1] When I mean wedding I do not mean grandaunt's third daughter-in-law's cousin's kind-of wedding where the highlight of the night is seeing the bride for the first (and probably the last time in years to come) time. Or that you have to fake a smile for the fifteenth time just because some relative remarked that your parents are getting to the good life since you are in college and all.

[2] I'd called the cab company for a cab, and realized that a particular number in their records is still identified as a Mr. Smith. That brought back quite a bit of memories from yesteryear. Funny, isn't it when fragments of the past are always stowed away in some hidden corner until we accidentally turn them out.

[3] The bride is a lovely Eurasian girl from New Zealand.

[4] Come on, nepotism would involve at least an A by any standards and I know I don't deserve that.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?