<$BlogRSDUrl$>



No trespassing beyond this point
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, February 22, 2004

 
Memo
To: Mr. P
From: Ms. P
Subject: Of gratitude. Of internship. The End.


I finally gave you the farewell gift on Friday evening, after threatening you numerous times not to leave the office before me. What I had expected to be a thrilling moment, to see the surprised look on your face and to see your first expression if they were to your liking, turned out to be almost a tear-stained moment. You had correctly guessed the contents of the tiny box and the more you queried me on why I had gotten you such an expensive (it was worth it) gift, the more I felt like crying. It was sillly but the finality of the situation hit me full throttle then. Probably as if the whole of my internship experience was summed up in that box you were opening, the box I was never going to see again. Gone are

the silly moments (of X marks the spot, plaster photostats, tea stains),

our theories of how the chewing gum ban originates,

the daily emails,

lessons you taught me (on serious work-related matters and more on everything else non-work-related),

'Which dog are you?' conversation plus everything from that dinner/taxi ride,

Consigliere advice and Godfather role-playing,

your-mom-my-mom comparisons,

lengthy discussions on the military/ Singapore rat race (I still have that 'A Personal Dream' write-up)

the AA-lives-on pride you exhibit at every opportunity,

my conspiracy theory,

.. You name it, we would have done it.

I may be the silly intern but you have to be, have to be the silly (but enviably neat and clean) senior who reciprocates silly behavior with silly behavior too. No one indulges me as much as you do in the firm, and I can't be twice as honest with anyone else there either. Honest. Thank you for your patience, for making sure I have understood what I've been taught and for enriching this experience. I have learnt alot.

After the hasty goodbye outside the lobby, all emotions finally culminated in the taxi ride to the interns' dinner as I read the card you told me not to open before I left the office. I cried.

All because of your silly behavior and now I am holding you responsible :))

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?