<$BlogRSDUrl$>



No trespassing beyond this point
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, April 19, 2004

 
In a rare act of uninhibited friendliness, I smiled at a woman walking her pair of lovely basset hounds as I hurried through the botanic gardens on my way to school today . She smiled back in return, and I felt good, proving right that a random simple act can indeed brighten up one's day, stranger or not. Later in the day, another stranger, this time male and neatly dressed, smiled at me at the lift lobby. I was so surprised that I actually blurted hi! and got greeted in return. I don't know what had gotten over me, at a loss for logical reactions perhaps.

I didn't think I even felt all that friendly today. Was it a coincidence that they were both expats? Are such the lingering traces of leftover colonial traits, and an over-eager subservient attitude to please O superior white masters? Would I have done the same to fellow Asians? Maybe I ponder too much, over two unpremeditated events. Do I sense self-denial, eh? What I'm absolutely sure of though, is that this society has gotten too self-centered, this has got to be it, among other unflattering reasons. Why else would I get so uptight and cynical over harmless friendly greetings? You tell me.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?