<$BlogRSDUrl$>



No trespassing beyond this point
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, October 11, 2004

 
Certain types (non-exhaustive)

As the corporate world treads closer, recent experiences have revealed unpleasant realizations about the modes of business relations.

Type 1. The kind I know of and have learnt of through my internships. I love these. Lines get fuzzy where work and friendship are concerned, but things do get done and the corporate environment is one which you look forward to every single darn morning. Something that's easy to say, hard to practise. It's tough to describe the feeling, somewhat like a feel-good glow from within, I'm just glad I've had the opportunity to feel that way during my internships.

Type 2. Also via internships, these are hi-bye folks who happen to work in your same firm. Other than some polite greetings or queries from time to time, we don't have much to do with one another because, either we don't hang out with the same crowd at lunchtimes or we are handling different aspects of the work processes that do not require much interaction. This, I have much accepted to be one of the inevitabilities in working life.

Type 3. People who are all out to destroy you. Relations to talk of, are likely non-existent. Do not need much elaboration. Stay away from them if possible, but if they are already part of Type 3 they probably know of your existence already and you know nothing thrills them more than to see you down and out. I have unfortunately (perhaps fortunate since the worst cases are those who crush you anonymously behind the scenes) come across some of these in my short working experiences, ironically in a school even. For now I am the unruly greenhorn and will stand against them if they cross my path again. Gimme coupla years down the road, I hope I still have the balls and principles. Thou shalt not retreat.

Type 4. This I just found out, how working relationships remain just working relationships. Note that this is different from Type 2 as these people have to work together, whether they like it or not (in my case, not), and are forced to engage in superficially chummy relationships. Not that I want things to move in any possible direction, but this is a group of people together solely for the sake of business, to make money. Most times, I probably don't have anything in common with them and wouldn't want anything to do with them if not for the temporal business association. I feel like a hypocrite.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?